Monday, November 12, 2012

170 Extraordinary Acts

We are going to do 170 Extraordinary Acts as a Relief Society to celebrate the 170 years of Relief Society being around! Let us know at church or write it in a comment to this post and we'll put it on the list. It can be anonymous or named. Let us know something big or small- it's all extraordinary!

1-Helped do the dishes after the Relief Society activity. -Deborah and Naomi Nelson

2- Gives and receives hugs and smiles. Anonymous

3-"I just completed 13 weeks of eating disorder treatment at Center for Change in Orem. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life but also the best. I am doing well and look forward to a happy, healthy life ahead. I am very grateful for this opportunity and for the strength it has given me" -Linda Brill (Way to go Linda!!)

4- Being in tune with the spirit enough at the temple to put her friends name on the prayer roll when her friends really needed to the Lord's love in her life. See the whole story on the post from May 12. -Anonymous sister

5- "I'm still making my cards and I sent several out this week and got some calls thank you"-Beverly Frankland

6- "Russ, Chandler, Nadia and I ran a 5K on April 28. So proud of them! Their first race ever and even five year old Nadia ran the whole thing by herself. And she asked when the next race is!"- Lina Wakefield

7- "Josie Croft was baptized" -put in by Josie (in primary!) but it is extraordinary especially for Heidi (mom) and Peggy (grandma!)

8- "I had an opportunity to "Stand For Truth and Righteousness" yesterday, or to stand as a witness, however you want to describe it. I went to my routine Chiropractic appointment, and my Doctor, who I really do appreciate and respect, was telling a political joke. It started out with Pres Obama supporting Gay marriage and ended with Mitt Romney supporting plural marriage. He got a big laugh from two other patients in the room. So I defended the church and mentioned that the practice o polygamy was a long time ago etc. Then one of those two patients, started telling some bazaar things that "Mormons believe". I had the opportunity to defend the church again, and invited them to go to the official website (lds.org) for correct information. It felt good to speak up. I think it will get easier, and easier, as I do it more often." -Karren Hubrich

 
9- "After a few days of feeling overwhelmed by problems and life I turned to the scriptures for help. I felt like I needed to have patience so I did a search and found Mosiah 24:15, "The Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord." Since finding that verse my mood has been lifted and I have handled things in our home much better! I felt like the Lord has really helped lift some of the burdens I was dealing with- or just made it easier for me to handle them. I love the scriptures and how they can change my mood and behavior better than anything else!" -Renee Beus

10- I got a cricket project published in a book! – Wendy Fellows

11- I ran a 5 1/2 mile mud and obstacle race. Running in waist deep muddy swamps and jumping over walls is hard for me but I did it! And I'd do it again! – Lina

12- It took 2 months to house train 3 dogs at the same time. One was previously trained, but the others were very difficult. - anonymous

13- Crocheted three beautiful afghans for the green triplets. -Marilyn Morrill

14- Helped Beverly Frankland with yard work since she broke her wrist. -Vawdrey family

15- Even after gaining 45 lbs, I walked in a 5k with my daughter. -anonymous

16- I house trained a very fearful 6 month old dog even though it took 2 1/2 months! -anonymous

17- "I just finished reading the Bible for the first time all the way through."-anonymous (That's way awesome!)

18- KC just read the Book of Mormon all the way through for the 6th time but this time she read it with David Ridges study guide; and on her nook where she can make notes, tab reference with other manuals and scriptures and underline. She got even more out of it by doing this! (what great tips- thanks KC!)

19- "Amanda, Adrienne, and I [Amy] participated in the Spartan race last Saturday. It was a 12 mile mud run with 25 obstacles at soldier hollow. Tons of fun, even though we came home with scrapes and bruises... -Amy C. (Way to go!)

20- We got Kalen all moved into an apartment at UVU to get ready for school and he was able to find a job really quickly right after move in! -Debbie Carrol

21- Lina made her own bookcases out of crate pallets! (we want to see how it turned out)

22- "I played the keyboard for the Bluffdale Arts' production of "Crazy For You" in July. Very difficult music, lots of rehearsals, and four performances in three days made life very stressful. But it was a good experience even with the usual post-musical letdown. But moving on, I am now playing the violin in "Pirates of Penzance."  Performances are at the Draper Historic Theatre, 12366 South 900 East, on September 7th and 8th at 7:30 p.m." -Linda Brill

 23- "I "power walked" a 5K race sponsored by Salt Lake Running Company. I beat my goal of finishing in 45 minutes with the time of 43:52." -Linda Brill (Great Job Linda! we love hearing all the great things you do with your talents!)

24- The day of service cleaning graves, taking pictures of graves and then indexing all the names was a very extraordinary act for all those who participated! Thanks!

25- " I made freezer meals for Lori Green so that her family can eat something other than PBJ's for dinner." -anonymous
(just FYI- Lori has a ton of meat in her freezer and a huge food storage room full of food if anyone wants to use it to put freezer meals for their family together I'm sure they would really appreciate it!)


26-"Last week I went to BYU Education Week with my husband and daughter-in-law. It was amazing! I was led to the classes I was "supposed to" attend and I heard exactly the right words that gave me the answers I have been needing. It gave me a much-needed spiritual boost and jumpstart. I'm already looking forward to next year's (August 19-23)!"~Linda Brill

27-"I have very few members in my family members of the LDS faith, but have an uncle and cousins----one just received his mission call to Finland, this young man's dad was on a mission to France when my kids were in grade/middle school, I am so proud of this young man---Andrew Hyrum Glasgow. thanks, all, nanc" awesome story nancy!

28. Vickie Anderson

29. Karren Hubrich


30.  Lori Green :)

31. Amanda Toler

32. Jill!

33. Amanda Toler

34.  Dixie

35. Wendy Fellows


36. Jeannette Hoopes

37. KC 

38. Lina, Brook, Amanda, Adrienne, Amy, Micaela, Helen, Kari, Michelle :) loved it girls!

39.

40. Linda!


I'm sorry we didn't get pictures of all of the art, send me a picture if we missed yours!


41- I made 4 rhubarb pies from scratch to give to fellowship several people who are really struggling. I even tried a fleur-de-leis cut on top.
- Debbie Carroll
(looks like a bakery made them!)

42. I am a peacemaker in my troubled family. Even on days when painful situations and disputations occur, I have pulled myself out of despair, and trusted in the Lord that there will be better days ahead, and peace on the horizon. -Karren Hubrich

43. I participated in an amazing and intense three-day life strategies workshop at Center for Change. I learned about emotional maturity. Linda Brill

44. I used to get so nervous taking photos for someone. Finally, after much study and practice I can really enjoy the process. Last week I did some portraits for my son's children. I can't believe how beautiful they are, and I just keep looking at them – in near disbelief that I can accomplish something I've been wanting to be able to do for so long. -Anonymous

45. I am taking Viola lessons. – Linda Brill

46. I joined a group of ladies and started learning traditional Chinese dance. Definitely out of my comfort sound! – Anonymous

47. Helped with meals for the Wells family. – Anonymous

48. I was the rehearsal pianist for Hansel and Gretel in Draper. – Linda Brill

49. I have worked on items for the festival of trees all year and can now donate them next week. -Anonymous

50. I purposed & successfully got passed an amendment to our HOA that will save everyone $35 a month. It was a lot of work.– Debbie Carroll

51. I shared my testimony with my daughter's friend who is taking the discussions. -Anonymous

52. I spent three hours doing family history this week. – Amanda Toler

53. Vee got a car so she can come to church on Sundays!

54. Sandra Poulsen found her parents genealogies so she can do their work in the temple!

55. I helped plan a 60th birthday party for my boss. – Anonymous

56. I helped Luana Bryant when she fell. – Anonymous

57. I indexed 500 names last week! -Brook

58. Naomi Nielsen indexed:106 and arbitrated:1308 last week!

59. "I registered to index last Monday. I decided to index 10 names or more every time I checked my e-mail or facebook so I would form a new good habit and it worked. I ended up indexing 180 names last week, so I have a good start on indexing." -Pat

2 comments:

  1. Renee, Thank you for sharing your experience with the scriptures. It is true that great comfort and strength can come to us when we look to the words of the Lord. It is often our comfort that comes when we have asked for the Lord's help. He has already answered before we even asked. I have also found, when I am feeling down and out, good music from one of the many talented LDS singers can lift me up and make me whole again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 58. Naomi Nielsen indexed:106 and arbitrated:1308 last week!

    ReplyDelete